Come summer time, I'm in the mood to celebrate - perhaps due to the longer days and warmer weather, not to mention all the birthday parties that happen to fall during these months! My grandchildren all happened to be born during the summer, and year after year I've prepared this delicious and colorful cookie cake, which they love! So for a sweet and festive dessert, not much is better than an ordinary cake set atop an enormous chocolate chip cookie. But don't just take my word for it, watch the video below. Then be sure to check out the recipe which is listed just below it. Enjoy!
Here's the Recipe:
1. In a medium-sized bowl, combine 1 cup flour, baking soda and half the salt. Mix well and set aside.
2. In a large mixing bowl, mix the butter, 1/2 cup of granulated sugar and brown sugar with an electric hand mixer. Combine well. Beat 1 egg into the mixture then add 1/2 teaspoon vanilla. Combine thoroughly.
3. Combine the flour mixture (as indicated in step 1), then add the chocolate chips. Mix the ingredients by hand until blended well.
4. Set a parchment round into the bottom of a buttered round cake pan. Add the chocolate chip batter on top until it appears smooth and forms into one layer.
5. Bake the batter for 25 minutes at 350 °F. Allow to cool 10 minutes. Then, level the cookie, pressing it down firmly along the top. Set aside.
6. In a separate bowl, combine the remaining flour, salt and baking powder. Mix the ingredients together and set aside.
7. Meanwhile, in another bowl, use your hand mixer to beat the remaining sugar into the vegetable oil. Beat each remaining egg into the oil mixture, one at a time and beat the rest of the vanilla into the oil mixture.
8. Add 1/3 of the flour mixture from earlier, stir by hand then stir in 1/4 cup of milk. Repeat with next third of the flour mixture and add the remaining milk.
9. Add the remaining flour mixture and the sprinkles and stir thoroughly. Pour the sprinkle batter into the cake pan on top of the cookie base.
10. Bake for about 60 to 70 minutes at 350°F. Once it has cooled, frost the cake and garnish with additional sprinkles.
11. Slice, serve and enjoy!