This recipe will guide you in making one of the easiest French desserts that is both colorful and amazingly delicious. With a custard-like base and lots of cherries on top, this dessert is served warm and can even be great for breakfast.
Ingredients for 6-8 servings
- 20 oz (600 g) fresh sweet cherries, stemmed and pitted
- 2 tbsp (30 g) butter, melted
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup (240 ml) milk
- 3/4 cup (100 g) flour
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup (100 g) sugar
- 1/2 tsp almond extract (or 3 drops of almond essence)
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- For dusting: powdered sugar
1. Preheat the oven to 350ºF (180ºC). Grease a round 10 inch (26cm) baking dish with butter. Dust with about 2 tablespoons of sugar.
2. Arrange the cherries in a single layer. Set it aside until you prepare the batter.
3. Mix the eggs with the remaining sugar and salt. Stir in flour. Add milk, vanilla extract, almond extract and mix well until well blended. Add the melted butter and stir to combine. The result is similar to a crepe's mixture.
4. Pour the mixture over the cherries.
5. Bake for about 40-45 minutes until puffed and golden brown.
Sprinkle with powdered sugar before serving. Serve warm or chilled.