With summer right round the corner, I can't wait to dig into a spoonful of ice cream. While it may possibly be one of my favorite desserts, I just may have found a way to make this refreshing summer treat all the more delicious. Not only are Churro bowls easy to make, they make your spoonful or two of ice cream that much better. Watch how these mouthwatering treats are made in the video below then be sure to save the recipe just beneath the clip. Enjoy!
Here's the recipe:
Ingredients (Makes 8 Churro Bowls)
1. Add the butter, brown sugar, salt and water to a medium saucepan, cooking the ingredients over a high heat. Bring to a boil then once the butter has fully melted and the mixture begins to boil, reduce the heat to medium or low and add in the flour. Using a wooden spoon, stir well until the dough can be formed into a ball - this should take about 1 minute. Remove from the heat and let the batter cool for 5 minutes before moving onto the next step (as your eggs may accidentally cook).
2. Mix the vanilla extract and add the eggs one at a time. Make sure to fully incorporate each egg before adding the next one. Once all the eggs are incorporated, transfer the mix to a piping bag with a small star tip.
3. Invert a muffin tin and spray thoroughly with non-stick cooking spray. Pipe the dough around the inverted cups in spirals forming bowls, as shown in the video. Transfer the tray to the freezer and freeze until solid. This should roughly take about 3 hours or freeze overnight.
4. Heat some oil in a deep pot to 350˚F (175˚C). Remove the muffin tin from the freezer and flex it to release the churro bowls - you may need to use a small knife at the bottom edge of the bowl to release them. As you're waiting to fry each one, you may place the extras in the freezer.
5. Fry the bowl in batches until they have browned - use no more than three at a go. Carefully tip them into the oil so that they sink to the bottom. Once they have browned, remove them from the oil to a paper towel, dabbing off any excess oil. Then roll them in a cinnamon sugar mixture. Fill the bowls with your favorite ice cream and toppings!