Avocados are an incredibly nutritious and delicious fruit. Their creamy texture can be used for recipes across the board. But, have you ever considered adding avocados to your soup? This avocado, chicken and tortilla soup is wonderful and satisfying. And as you are about to see, it is incredibly easy to make too. Have a look at the video below, then be sure to save the recipe, which is listed just beneath the video.
Here's the recipe:
1. In a large sauce pan heat the oil over medium heat. Add the onions, the jalapeño and the garlic and saute for about 2 minutes until the onion has softened.
2. Add the chicken breasts, the cumin and chicken broth and let simmer until the chicken has cooked through, about 10 to 15 minutes (this depends on how thick the chicken pieces are cut).
3. Once done, remove the chicken from the pot. When cool enough to handle, shred it into smaller pieces.
4. Use a glass blender to puree the cilantro and 1 1/2 of the avocados, adding a portion of broth until a creamy texture is formed. Add the rest of the broth then pulse a few times to combine. If the liquid is too hot, allow it to cool slightly before blending. Alternatively, a hand blender can be used to blend the avocado into the broth, inside the pot.
5. Season to taste with some salt and pepper and add the broth back to the pan. Then stir in the chicken, adding some lime juice and garnish with the remaining 1/2 chopped avocado, tortilla chips, cheese, salsa or fresh tomatoes. Add some additional chili if desired.
Recipe source: tiphero.com