Almonds are some of my favorite nuts to snack on. They're incredibly nutritious too - just a small handful of almonds contains 3.5 grams of fiber and 6 grams of protein. They're also a fantastic source of vitamin E (providing 37% of your recommended daily allowance), and are a rich source of manganese and magnesium. I often look for recipes that include almonds, and here's one delicious and pretty easy dessert recipe I've recently tried. At a glance, the pastry may look complicated to make, but it's actually quite easy. Take a look at the video tutorial:
1. Preheat the oven to 400°F.
2. In a large bowl, add the butter and the sugar. Whisk until paste texture is formed. Add the almond paste and whisk again until the mix appears clumpy. Add the vanilla extract and the almond extract, blending the ingredients well.
3. Lay out one sheet of puff pastry, and cut one-inch strips, as shown in the video above. Lay out and spread the almond mix at the top part of the pastry and roll it downwards. Join the two ends of the pastry roll together, as shown in the video above, and brush the pastry with egg wash.
4. Decorate with whole roasted almonds and bake for 10 minutes at 400°F, then bake for a further 16 to 18 minutes at 375°F, or until the pastry appears golden brown.
5. Dust with some icing sugar if desired.