Whenever my bananas are overripe I grab for this recipe. This delicious cake with vanilla frosting has always been a winning formula. It can easily be whipped up in an hour, including mixing, baking, cooling and frosting. Watch yourselves when this cake is in the house – it disappears quickly.
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 3/4 cup mashed banana (or 2 bananas)
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- Baking spray
How to make the cake:
- Preheat the oven to 375˚F (190˚C). If you intend to use a glass pan, preheat it to 350˚F (180˚C).
- Mix the sugar, sour cream, egg and softened butter together with a spoon or hand mixer.
- Mash the bananas and add it and the vanilla extract to the batter.
- Pour in the flour, salt and baking soda, and mix well.
- Spray an 8x8 inch pan with baking spray and pour in the batter. This prevents the cake from sticking to the pan.
- If you want to ensure the cake doesn’t form a hump in the middle, wrap your pan with insulated baking strips.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, until you can take a toothpick out clean.
- Cool the cake before you begin frosting.
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 1/4 cups confectioner's sugar
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla bean paste
Note: If you can’t find vanilla bean paste you can use substitutes.
- 1 vanilla bean can be replaced with 1 tablespoon vanilla powder
- or 1 tablespoon of vanilla bean paste can be substituted with 1 tablespoon of pure vanilla extract.
How to make the frosting:
- Mix the butter and confectioner’s sugar together with a hand mixer, until the mixture is smooth.
- Slowly start adding in the heavy cream and vanilla bean paste and stir until the mixture is smooth.
- Spread the frosting on the top of the cooled cake.
- Serve the cake chilled or at room temperature.