Impress your friends and family with this beautiful and incredibly delicious apple upside down cake. It may take a little extra work, but it is certainly worth the effort. Watch how it's made in the video and check out the recipe below.
Here's the recipe:
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F. Melt and combine 1/3 cup butter and 1/4 cup sugar to a saucepan until golden brown. Butter a 9-inch cake pan, adding the caramel sauce to the bottom (the butter and sugar mix).
2. Layer the peeled, slice apples in the cake pan and coat with 2 tablespoons of sugar and 1 tablespoon cubed butter.
3. Bake at 350°F for 15 minutes. Meanwhile, in a bowl, add 1/2 cup flour, 1/4 teaspoon salt, 2 teaspoons baking powder and mix well until combined.
4. In a separate bowl, add 1/3 cup butter, 1/4 cup sugar and mix well, until the texture is smooth.
5. Add 3 egg yolks to the ingredients listed in step 4 (put the egg whites aside) and combine well. Then add 1 teaspoon vanilla extract and the zest of 1 lemon. Add the dry flour mixture (as indicated in step 3) to the mix as well as 3 tablespoons of sour cream. Combine all ingredients well.
6. In another bowl, add the 3 egg whites, whisk until firm peaks form. Then, add the egg whites to the flour and egg yolk mix. Combine well. Remove the caramelized sauce and apples from the oven. Coat in 1 teaspoon cinnamon and pour the cake batter over the apples.
7. Bake at 350°F for 25 to 35 minutes. Let cool for five minutes, invert onto a plate and serve with a scoop of ice cream or maple syrup.
Get free access To all the posts in our new app!