Looking at photos of the past is always fascinating. They may be about the simplest of things like a boy marveling at a television set for the first time or of some iconic building that doesn’t exist anymore, but that’s what captivates us about them even more. That peeking we do at moments of the past. The more trivial it is, the more real it seems.
Such old and rare pictures from history give us a glimpse of what life used to be long before our time and in the past, we have featured many articles on rarely-seen vintage photographs. Today, we will look at some more powerful historical images that you are unlikely to have seen in any history book.
1. A Native American mother and her child - 1900s
2. The sun shines through at the Grand Central Terminal, NYC - 1929
3. American troops treat a wounded dog on Orote peninsula - 1944
4. A woman overlooks a snowy mountain pass in the Pyrenees Mountains, France - 1956
5. When the Auschwitz Death Camp was discovered and liberated by the Red Army - 1945
6. San Francisco's iconic Cliff House in 1907. Unfortunately, the structure was destroyed shortly after
7. Geologist Thomas Griffith Taylor and Meteorologist Charles Wright in the entrance of an ice grotto during the Terra Nova Expedition, Ross Island – 1911
8. Shepherds listening to music records, Azerbaijan - 1939
9. A U.S. marine rescues two Vietnamese children during the Vietnam War - 1968
10. Cetshwayo, king of the Zulu who defeated the British at the Battle of Isandlwana - 1878
11. Emperor Nicholas II of Russia (1868-1918) was rather fond of taking “selfies”
12. Navajo Riders in the Canyon De Chelly, Arizona - 1904
13. A Native American Man looking over the newly completed transcontinental railroad in Nevada - 1869
14. The beautiful Pamir, the world’s last commercial sailing ship, rounding Cape Horn - 1949
15. A frozen Niagara Falls - 1911
16. An outdoor game of bandy (a winter sport played on ice that’s similar to ice hockey) in Sweden is interrupted as a part of the floor suddenly breaks off - 1959
17. Acrobats balance on top of the Empire State Building, New York City, United States - 1934
18. Rome when it became the capital of the kingdom of Italy - 1871
19. Conrad O'Brien-Ffrench, who served as a Mi6 agent in the Second World War and was known to welcome danger, greets a bear at the Banff National Park, Canada - 1950
20. The airship Le Jaune ("The Yellow One") flying past the Eiffel Tower in Paris, France - 1903
Share these photos with other history buffs...