The magnificent city of Paris captivates people from all over the world with its magic and romance. The capital of France was founded around the end of the 3rd century BC. Today, the city became one of the most popular travel destinations in the world.
While modern-day Paris is astoundingly beautiful, the city has gone through a lot of changes over the past several decades. Photographer Julien Knez attempted to bring Parisian history to life through these amazing photos of old and new Paris combined. These photos show us a window into Paris’ past and reveal how much the historical city has and hasn't changed through the years. The pictures below are a selection from Knez's book, "Paris: Fenêtres sur l'Histoire." Take a look.
See Also: Paris 100 Years Ago: A Story in Photos
1. Tour Eiffel (Eiffel Tower), 1900
2. Place de l’Opéra (a square near the the Palais Garnier Opera House), 1940
3. Place Vendôme (a famous square in Paris), 1871
4. Jardin du Luxembourg (Luxembourg Gardens), 1895
5. Place de l’Opéra (a square near the the Palais Garnier Opera House), 1900
6. La Seine. Notre-Dame (view of the Notre Dame Cathedral from the Seine river), 1930
7. Arc de Triomphe (The Triumphal Arch of the Star), 1909
8. “Odéon” Station (Paris Métro), 1910
9. Le Printemps (a department store) on Haussmann Boulevard, 1930
10. Le Moulin Rouge (Moulin Rouge), 1900
11. Le Grand Palais (Great Palace), 1944
12. Rue du Faubourg-du-Temple (a historical street in Paris), 1871
13. Quai de Conti (a riverfront street in Paris), 1900
14. Boulevard Saint-Denis (St. Denis Boulevard), 1910
15. Hôtel-de-Ville (City Hall), 1944
Share these fascinating photos with your friends and family...