You don’t have to be an avid gardener or a flower lover to admire the beauty of various plants. The fresh smell of a plant or flower has the power to brighten our mood and uplift our senses.
Our world is filled with an array of beautiful and delicate plant species. However, Mother Nature has also produced some truly unusual and unique flowers and plants that you are unlikely to have seen before. Here, we have featured a few such mystical plants that appear to be from some other planet.
See Also: These Exotic Flowers Are Just Plain Beautiful!
1. The Aristolochia gigantea is also known as the Brazilian Dutchman's pipe or giant pelican flower. It's a fast-growing woody evergreen native to Brazil.
2. Sempervivum tectorum are succulent plants that look like rubbery roses and are native to the mountains of southern Europe. According to Roman tradition, these plants protect buildings against lightning strikes.
3. Huernia guttata is a small, tufted perennial succulent native to South Africa. It was discovered by Francis Masson (a Scottish botanist) and was first described in 1796.
4. The Faucaria tuberculosa originates from South Africa. This prehistoric-looking succulent is more commonly known as Pebbled Tiger Jaw because of its bizarre fang-like features.
5. Hydnora africana is a parasitic plant native to South Africa that lives off the roots of Euphorbia plants. This scary-looking plant is also called jakkalskos or jackal food.
6. The unusual Tacca chantrieri plant has black flowers. Also known as the Black bat flower because of its peculiar shape, this plant is native to the tropical regions of Southeast Asia. Noticed it's long 'whiskers'? They can grow up to 28 inches!
7. The Gloriosa superba or Flame lily may look like a tender and beautiful flower but it's highly poisonous. Found in the tropics, especially in the southern parts of India and Sri Lanka, its poison can cause severe gastroenteritis with nausea and vomiting in humans.
8. Known as the naked man orchid or the Italian orchid, the Orchis italica is a species of orchid native to the Mediterranean. On rare occasions, pure white specimens of this beautiful orchid also occur!
9. Paphiopedilum rothschildianum is found in the rainforests around Mount Kinabalu, in northern Borneo. These plants generally grow in rock ledges, limestone cliffs, and slopes.
10. This unusual and unique tropical plant, Palicourea elata, is native to rain forests in Central and South American countries. It's commonly known as 'hot lips' because of its extravagant leaves that are curiously shaped in the form of human lips!
Share these amazing pictures with others...