Life is all about discoveries and learning. You're actually presented with a new chance to learn every day and don't even know it! Take a look at everything around you now. There are at least 5 things you won't know the names of! It's not just our homes that are filled with surprisingly named items. When you get your morning coffee, have you ever wondered what the sleeve on your coffee cup is called?
From parts of fruits to your own face, there are so many things that we see on a daily basis and never stop to think about what they're actually called. Well, have no fear because we've thought about it for you. Here are the names of 15 everyday things that you wouldn't think even had names!
1. The sharp points on fork prongs (as well as the tips of deer antlers) are called tines.
2. The empty space between the liquid and the top of the bottle is called the ullage.
3. The white crescent shape found at the bottom of fingernails and toenails is called the lunula.
(By James Heilman, Wikimedia Commons)
4. A line of toothpaste on a toothbrush is called a nurdle.
5. The non-hammering side of a hammer used for pulling out nails is called a Claw.
6. The vertical crease found between the upper lip and the nose is called the philtrum.
7. The ends of shoelaces, which can be metal or plastic, are called aglets.
8. The chart you read from during an eye exam is called the Snellen chart.
9. The small metal piece that is in-between the body of a pencil and the eraser is called the ferrule.
10. The long white strips under a banana peel are called phloem bundles.
11. The armholes in clothes are called armscye.
12. The curves of a figure-eight or the infinity symbol are called a lemniscate.
13. Something written with illegible handwriting is called griffonage.
14. The gap found on the hand between the forefinger and the thumb is called purlicue.
15. The outer side of a pizza crust is called the cornicione.
16. The cardboard sleeve given on disposable coffee cups are called zarfs.
Spread the knowledge by sharing this!