Civilization is on a constantly moving, constantly expanding uphill climb towards perceived greatness, using every tool in our repertoire and armed with knowledge and understanding. However, for all the incredible progress human beings have made, Mother Nature still reigns supreme. As she well should! Forests and wooded lands are often wiped out to make room for more houses, shopping complexes and major institutions.
Some architects even build structures around plant life. Strategic planning is required to bring these plans to fruition. Every once in awhile though, Nature will catch one of us straying from the plan, and strike slowly but sharply to gain her victory. Quietly as time passes, she takes back what is hers and lets the green grow once again, over what humanity has created, in the ultimate show of power. In these 20 funny yet poignantly beautiful pictures, it's easy to see that Mother Nature was the clear winner of these wars.
1. This tree hits all the right notes
2. This road in Hawaii that was destroyed by lava has become the home for new life
3. An abandoned silo that allowed a tree to thrive
4. A railway track in Texas that hasn’t seen a train in a long time
5. A former race track now slowly becoming a garden
6. A sacred Bodhi tree entwined with an abandoned Shiva temple
7. "I finished building my farmhouse and then returned the next summer to find this"
8. A window in the greenery shows us the remnants of an abandoned hospital in Germany
9. Through the cracks of the cement in a Naples’ archeological park, this fig tree found life
10. A train track in Washington state that is now a floral treasure
11. What happens when you park your car in the woods of Japan
12. It was once a hiking boot
13. This barren fishing village belongs to nature now
14. This wrecked boat is now a tree-laden island
15. A tombstone from the 1800’s that this tree was kind enough to grow around
16. The Witch’s cottage in the forest has become a part of the forest!
17. Trenches in the war that are seas of grass and life today
18. Before the days of Amazon, we used to call these strange places “malls”
19. An all-natural Elmo doll
20. This abandoned ship is now a vase for a bouquet of trees