Why do I like historical photos so much? It's because they open little windows into a world that no longer exists, yet they influence our current world in many subtle ways. How can we prepare for the future if we ignore the past? These 18 photos will show you a glimpse into other, fascinating times.
1. An officer continues to do his job in the flooded streets of Ontario, Canada in 1974.
2. A room in Auschwitz, Poland, filled to the brim with the shoes of holocaust victims - 1944.
3. The Manhatten Bridge in New York during construction - 1903.
4. Charlie Chaplin on a film set of a burning circus - 1926.
5. People standing in a hallway on furniture, trying to listen in on what is going on in the peace committee in Paris's Versailles Palace - 1919.
6. The arrest photo of Pablo Escobar, one of the most brutal and most powerful drug dealers in history - 1977.
7. Joseph Goebbels, the Nazi minister of propaganda, staring at a Jewish photographer - 1933.
8. French soldiers walking next to a dog disguised as a German officer, complete with binocular and pipe - 1915.
9. Dentistry under field conditions during the first world war - 1917.
10. Laurel and Hardy along with Edgar Kennedy in a deleted movie scene - 1928.
11. Mark Twain on a rocking chair in his balcony next to his beloved cat Dublin, in New Hampshire - 1906.
12. Holiday shopping in New York - 1939.
13. The construction of the Statue of Liberty in Paris - 1881.
14. Victorian buildings in San Fransisco before they were destroyed by the great earthquake of 1906 - 1880.
15. The members of a British tank team cleaning the cannon of their tank in Tunis - 1943.
16. This group of Russian women killed over 775 Nazis, more than any female fighter group in WWII - 1945.
17. The astronaut Neil Armstrong beside moon vehicles at the Edwards Air Force base in California - 1964.
18. A traffic warden in New York stops vehicles to let a mother cat carry her kittens to the other side - 1925.