Most people who use canned goods believe there's nothing to do with the liquid left in them and, without thinking twice, pour it all down the drain. However, these liquids can be used up to the last drop as a basic ingredient in almost any food wimaginable, such as sour sauce, a stew, or a sweet dessert. That is why We’ve collected 10 ideas for you to learn how to make the most of the liquid in your canned goods.
The ultimate meringue is usually made from two ingredients: eggs and sugar. If you want to try a new recipe or you suddenly find yourself without eggs, you can use the liquid from canned beans. The liquid left in every can of white beans (or chickpeas) is famous as a cheap and accessible ingredient that can replace eggs in any baking recipe, from pies and breads to cookies and cakes. For meringue, many recommend using white bean juice because the resulting flavor is milder and it also blends better with sugar substitutes (like stevia), unlike canned chickpea liquid.
1. Beat the liquid for about 3 minutes with a whisk or mixer at high speed until the mixture becomes white and shiny.
2. Add the sugar into the mixture while stirring slowly until it becomes airy (once you’ve reached the desired texture, stop adding sugar).
3. Add a teaspoon of vanilla extract.
4. To prepare meringue kisses, heat your oven to 350 ° F (180 ° C) and line a baking pan with parchment paper.
5. Using a small spoon or piping bag, place your kisses 4 cm apart and bake for half an hour.
6. Check to see if the meringue has lightly browned. If necessary, leave it in the oven and continue checking at intervals of 10 minutes until the desired color is reached.
7. Turn off the oven and leave the pan to cool in the oven overnight.
Whether you use canned or crushed tomatoes, you may find yourself with leftover juice that usually gets drained into the sink or spills across the countertop. Before you rush to throw away the liquid, remember that this wonderful juice can miraculously improve the flavor of countless dishes. For example, you can pour it over rice and couscous, add it to pasta sauce, use it as a base for gazpacho or as a sauce for healthy, nutritious vegetable salad. All you need to upgrade your dish right now is to replace the amount of water written in the recipe with the same amount of liquid from the canned tomatoes.
Tuna is usually canned in two types of liquid: water and oil. With the help of oil, you can improve the taste of a number of dishes such as pasta, tuna cannelloni or an Asian flavored wrap. If your tuna is canned in water you can use that water to upgrade your pets’ food. Note that canned tuna oil is usually soybean oil and may harm your pet, so only use canned tuna water. Pour it on their food and you’ll witness them savoring every bite!
Not only can the liquid from canned chickpeas or beans produce wonderful foods, but the corn liquid can be kept for cold winter days, especially if you like warm, easy-to-make soups.
1. Drain the corn kernels and lightly blend in the food processor.
2. place the blended corn and corn liquid in a pot, add the spices with 2 cups of water and wait for the boil.
3. In the meantime, mix the cornstarch or flour with a half cup of water until smooth.
4. After boiling, add the mixture and continue cooking for about 10 minutes until it becomes thick.
To upgrade to Chinese corn soup, add a teaspoon of soy and a teaspoon of sugar. When the soup is ready, mix an egg in a bowl and drip it into the soup while it is hot until the egg turns white.
Instead of spilling out the canned liquid into the sink or trash, you can, using the basic ingredients in every kitchen, make some sauces and desserts we all enjoy:
Using the liquid from canned chickpeas, you can improve your diet and make homemade mayonnaise. This recipe is quick and easy, and tastes just like regular mayonnaise.
Ingredients: (for 2 cups)
1. Mix the vinegar, mustard, salt and 3 tablespoons of canned liquid with a hand blender for 2 seconds.
2. After you finish stirring, gradually pour a quarter cup of oil and continue blending.
3. Be sure to move the blender around the bowl with rotating movements until the mixture is airy.
4. Transfer to a jar and refrigerate.
Tip: Toward the end of mixing, add a little maple syrup instead of vinegar (or in addition to) to get some light sweetness.
To make this dessert, all you need is a little salt, sugar, chocolate, and liquid from one can of hummus. This recipe is especially suitable for those who want a light, airy and tasty chocolate mousse without soy, nuts, gelatin or eggs.
1. With the help of a Bain-marie (over a pot of hot water) melt the dark chocolate and then let it cool off slightly on the side.
2. Beat the canning liquid with a hand mixer until it’s airy.
3. Add the rest of the ingredients except the chocolate and beat again for about 15 seconds until a uniform texture is obtained.
4. Using a spatula, slowly add the melted chocolate into the mixture.
5. Let the mixture stand for a few minutes, transfer the mousse to a container and store it in the refrigerator or use it as a frosting for a cake.
Tip: To avoid lumps when adding chocolate to the mixture, add a teaspoon of vanilla extract into the chocolate and only then add it to the liquid mixture.
We don’t always throw out the pineapple juice leftover from canned pineapple, instead we usually drink it. However, it can be used in other ways as well. The juice is not only a refreshing addition to drinks, syrup, marinades or water, it is also an excellent substitute for liquids that appear in recipes for muffins, ice cream, and fruit salad.
This syrup is recommended to be put on almost any sweet dessert because it contains small pieces of pineapple and also because it is simple and wonderful and adds a rich flavor.
1. Before preparing, it is recommended to place the liquid in the fridge for several hours. This will make it easier to mix it with cornstarch later on.
2. Add about 4 tablespoons of cornstarch (56 g) to each cup of pineapple juice.
3. Mix and boil in a pot over medium to high heat until it thickens.
4. The prepared syrup should be cooled for several hours and drizzled over ice cream, cakes, pudding or pancakes.
This light teriyaki sauce can be adapted to any stir-fried noodles or rice recipe.
1. Mix all the ingredients in a bowl until thick.
2. If the sauce is still runny, carefully add some more soy and sugar.
3. Finally, store the sauce in the refrigerator.
Jars of pickles are filled with salty liquid, used, among other things, for preservation. While we may sometimes use pickle juice in salad dressings, olive juice usually gets tossed into the trash. However, this liquid can be very useful when we need a substitute for vinegar or a more dominant seasoning.
According to the label affixed to olive cans, the ingredients of the liquid are actually a combination of oil, vinegar, salt, and dried herbs, so it can be used for any dish that requires vinegar. Recipes that best benefit from this added liquid are Mediterranean dishes and salads.
Even those who don’t usually enjoy gin cocktails and martinis know that the taste of the olive is as important as the drink itself. That's why you should try this at your next dinner or when you just want to relax after a hard day's work. Fill an ice tray with olive juice and freeze. The next time you make yourself a martini add this cool ice cube which will amp up your cocktail's taste immediately!image source: Tomomarusan, הגר אור ורינגל ממן, Jason Terk , Alice Keeler