1. In a small saucepan, cover the carrots with water. Bring the water to the boil and cook until tender, about 10 minutes. Leave them to cool and then slice them.
2. Sift the flour, salt, and baking powder together in a bowl. Add butter, and rub to the consistency of coarse crumbs. Mix in the water. If the dough is too sticky, add some more flour.
3. Roll the dough out until it’s about 1/4-inch thick. Cut out six circles, each about 5 inches round. Don’t stretch the dough.
4. Mix the meat and vegetables together, add the salt and pepper to taste. Cover half of each pastry base with the filling. Moisten the pastry edges, and fold pastry over the filling. Press the edges together with a fork.
5. Transfer the pastries to a baking sheet, brush the tops with milk, and make a small slit in each top to allow steam to escape.
6. Bake at 450 degrees Fahrenheit (230 degrees Celsius) for 10 minutes. Turn the oven down to 350 degrees Fahrenheit (175 degrees Celsius) and bake for another 35 minutes.