1. Heat the olive oil in a large pot over a medium-high heat.
2. Cook the sausage slices until they begin to brown, 3-4 minutes.
3. Add the onion, reduce heat to medium, and cook until the onions become translucent, about 5 minutes.
4. Stir in the garlic and cook until fragrant, 30-60 seconds.
5. Add the chicken broth, crushed tomatoes, and jalapeno peppers – stir to combine.
6. Bring the mixture to a simmer. Gently stir in the squash and potatoes into the mixture. Reduce heat to medium-low. Season with salt, black pepper, and cayenne pepper.
7. Simmer the stew, uncovered, until the potatoes and squash are tender, 30-35 minutes. Stir in the Italian parsley. Adjust the levels of salt, black pepper, and cayenne pepper if needed. Serve in bowls and sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.