Mince Pies (Makes 8)
• 1 1/8 lb of plain flour
• 8 ¾ oz of caster sugar
• 8 ¾ oz of butter, cubed
• 2 large eggs
• 8 oz caster sugar
• 3 ¼ oz ground almonds
• 6 1/3 oz plain flour
• 7 egg whites, lightly beaten
• 8 oz butter
• 2 jars organic mincemeat
• 1 dash brandy
• 1 handful chopped almonds
1. Start by making the pastry. Combine the sugar and flour, then create a well in the center of the mix. Slowly fold in the butter until the mixture is crumb-like. Add the eggs, and work gently until the mix becomes smooth. Set aside.
2. To make the batter, place the sugar. Flour, and ground almonds together in a food processor with a whisk attachment, and mix on a slow speed. Gradually add the egg white, and then set aside.
3. Meanwhile, heat the butter in a pan until it begins to change color to a shade of hazelnut brown. When the butter has changed color, pass it through a clean piece of linen or tea towel to remove any impurities.
4. While the butter is still warm. Add it to your batter mix in a slow trickle until its fully incorporated. Leave to chill.
5. Preheat the oven to 356F.
6. Roll out the sweet pastry to a thickness of about 1/8 inch, cut into disks, and place in floured tart tins. Blind bake in the oven for about 10 minutes until the pastry is baked through and crisp. Leave to cool on a wire rack.
7. Once the pastry is cool, stir the brandy and nuts into the mincemeat. Half fill the tarts with the mincemeat mix. Top with some of the financier batter and smooth over with a knife.
8. Return the tarts to the oven and bake for a further 12 minutes until the financier batter is golden brown and cooked throughout.