Many of us prefer to turn off the air conditioner in the evening when the weather is nice and open the windows to let fresh air into the house. However, opening the windows is actually a party invitation for various insects that no one wants in their home.
Mosquitoes, flies and other pests are unwanted guests that no one enjoys, but the next simple tip will help you get rid of them easily, while leaving your home smelling great. All you need is an oven and a couple of lemons!
This tip is based on the fact that insects don’t like (to say the least) the smell of lemons, and hurry to leave any lemony scented room.
Here's what you need to do to get the results:
1. First, cut two or three lemons (depending on their size and the size of your house) into halves. In the morning, place the lemons in your oven while it’s off, cut side up and with the door open.
2. In the evening, close the door and turn on the oven for a few minutes on medium heat (so that the lemons don’t burn).
3. Turn off the oven and let it cool for about 5 minutes.
4. Next, open the oven door and place the lemons aside for further use as needed.
5. That's it! The lemon scent will spread from the oven to the kitchen and throughout your home, and you’ll get a great smelling, insect free house rather quickly!
Other pest removal methods using lemons:
1. Place lemon peel or lemon zest by door frames, doors or near any cracks through which ants or other pests can get in. The smell will keep insects away, and even those who’ve already made their way in will prefer to find another home for themselves.
2. Place half a lemon or lemon peel in a pot of water and bring to a boil. You can then transfer the liquid to a spray bottle and spray it in areas where ants frequent.
3. Are flies drawn to your plate during mealtime? Place a small bowl of lemon slices on the side of the table, lightly squeeze them, and you will be able to eat uninterrupted.