Lemon Bars (Makes 9-12 bars)
• 1 stick unsalted butter
• 1 ¼ cup all-purpose flour, divided
• 1 ¼ cup granulated sugar, divided
• 4 eggs
• ½ cup lemon juice (2-3 lemons)
• 1 tablespoon lemon zest (optional)
• 3/4 teaspoon salt (optional) divided
1. Preheat the oven to 350F/175C.
2. Line a greased 8-inch baking dish with parchment paper or foil, and set aside.
3. Using a pastry cutter or a food processor, blend the butter, 1 cup of flour, ¼ cup of sugar, and, if using, the salt, until a soft dough is formed.
4. Press the dough evenly into the bottom of your baking dish, and bake until the crust starts to brown on the top edges, around 20 minutes.
5. While the crust is baking, whisk together 1 cup of sugar, ¼ cup of flour, eggs, lemon juice, and, if using, the lemon zest, until the sugar is dissolved. Allow the filling to sit for around 10 minutes.
6. Remove the crust from the oven, and whisk the filling again before pouring over the top. Return the baking dish to the oven and bake until little bubbles form on top and the custard is set, about 20-25 minutes.
7. Remove from the oven and place on a cooling rack, about 1-2 hours. Cut into bars and serve. Store in the refrigerator.