Bulgogi (Serves 4)
• 1/4 ripe pear, grated
• 1 clove garlic, grated
• 2 tablespoons soy sauce
• 1 teaspoon chili flakes
• 1 tablespoon ginger, peeled and grated
• 1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
• 1 pound of trimmer hanger steak, cut against the grain in very thin strips
• 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
• Salt, to taste
• Green onions, sliced
1. In a medium-sized bowl, combine the pear, garlic, soy sauce, ginger, chili flakes, sesame oil, and brown sugar.
2. Add the sliced steak strips to the marinade and toss until well coated. Let it sit for 30 minutes at room temperature.
3. In a large skillet, heat 1 tablespoon of the oil until it is shimmering. Working in batches, take the meat out of the marinade. Allow the excess marinade to drip off, then place the meat in a single layer into the hot skillet. Allow to brown (without touching) for around 1 minute. Toss and continue to cook the meat until cooked through and it starts to crisp on the edges.
4. Repeat with the remaining oil and meat.
5. Serve topped with some green onions.