• Nit comb
• Mouthwash (amber colored won’t stain)
• Vinegar (white or apple cider)
• Shower caps or plastic bags large enough for a head
1. Soak it: In the sink or bathtub, soak the hair in mouthwash, avoiding the face. Do not rinse out.
2. Cover it: Cover the head with a shower cap or plastic bag secured with a shower cap (depending on the length of hair) for 30-60 minutes.
3. Rinse it: Remove the cap (and bag, if used) and rinse the hair with water, followed by only a vinegar rinse. Leave the vinegar in.
4. Wrap it: Wrap the damp hair in a towel, or use a new plastic covering. Leave the head covered for another hour.
5. Wash it: Wash the hair with normal shampoo. Comb through the wet hair with the nit comb, carefully removing any lice carcasses and eggs.
6. Repeat: Repeat the treatment 3-7 days later.
It is thought that the strong oils in mouthwash such as thyme, peppermint, and eucalyptus helps to suffocate and kill live lice. Though it doesn't destroy the eggs, mouthwash does make it easier to comb them out. Vinegar kills the remaining adults and their eggs. Once you’re done with this treatment, you’ll see dead lice everywhere.