Strawberry Tart (Serves 6)
• 125g of butter
• 60g of icing sugar
• 125g of plain flour, plus more for dusting
• 75g of ground almonds
• 2g of baking powder
• 1 pinch of salt
• 1 egg yolk
• 3 sprigs of lemon thyme, leaves picked
• 200ml of milk
• 40g of sugar
• 2 egg yolks
• 14g of cornflour
• 1 vanilla pod, cut and deseeded
• 18 strawberries, roughly quartered
• 30ml of rosé wine
• 1 tsp caster sugar
• 1 tbsp of clear honey
1. To begin the strawberry tart, mix the sugar and butter together to form a smooth paste. Add flour, ground almonds, salt and baking powder. Rub the mixture between your fingertips to form a sand-like texture.
2. Add the egg yolk and the chopped thyme and continue to work the mixture until it comes together to form a dough. When the dough is ready, wrap it in cling film and leave it in the fridge for 2 hours.
3. Once the dough has rested for 2 hours, preheat the oven to 160 degrees Celsius. Lightly dust a suitable workspace with flour and roll the dough to 1/2 cm thickness. Place the dough into a shallow spring form tin, and use the excess dough to build a 1cm side for the tart.
4. Bake for 10-15 minutes until lightly golden. Once cooked, leave the pastry to cool in the tin.
5. For the crème patissière, put the milk and vanilla pod in a saucepan and bring to the boil.