• 2 medium, overripe bananas (about 7 ounces peeled banana)
• 1/2 cup loosely packed light brown sugar
• 1/3 cup vegetable oil or melted unsalted butter
• 2 large eggs
• 1/2 cup ground almonds
• 1/3 cup applesauce
• 1/4 cup milk
• 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
• 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
• 1/2 teaspoon fine salt
• 1 1/2 cups whole-wheat pastry flour
• 1 tablespoon poppy seeds
• 3 tablespoons sunflower seeds
• 1/2 cup walnut pieces
• 2 ounces dark chocolate (70% cocoa), melted
1. Heat the oven to 350°F. Coat a 9x13" rimmed baking sheet with oil or butter and set aside.
2. Peel the bananas, place on a plate and mash them using the back of a fork until smooth. Add the mashed bananas to a large bowl and add the sugar, oil, eggs, butter, almonds, applesauce, and milk. Stir until it has mixed well, then add the baking powder, baking soda, salt, flour, and poppy seeds. Fold the mixture together until no floury patches remain.
3. Pour the batter into the already prepared baking sheet and sprinkle with the sunflower seeds and walnut pieces. Place in the oven, and bake until well-risen and golden brown - this should take around 35-40 minutes.
4. Drizzle melted chocolate on top of the cake and set aside to cool. Once cooled, cut into 9-12 pieces.
Photos: Izy Hossack