Caffeine may make you more energized and ready to greet the day in the morning, but it doesn't have the same effect on your dog. In fact, both cats and dogs are more sensitive to caffeine than people, and it is toxic to them. Keep all caffeinated drinks, as well as tea bags and coffee grounds as far away from your pets as possible, as even a small amount of the stuff can make them restless, cause fever and vomiting, or even tremors.
While it's probably impossible to guard your dog against foxtails altogether since they're so common, at least try to get rid of them regularly in your own yard. The problem with these plants is that the seeds that are covered in spiky shells can get stuck in your pet's fur, in their paws, and in various crevices. Once stuck, they're very difficult to find and get out, and so they often cause infections, even severe ones. Both cats and dogs can be affected, and pets were even found to eat the plant, which subsequently doesn't get digested and causes blockages and infections in the digestive system.
3. Scented Candles and Other Home Fragrances
Artificial scents, as well as some strong essential oils, can really irritate the nose, eyes, and lungs of your beloved pets. Remember, their sensory organs are a lot more sensitive than yours, so they will be more susceptible to strong scents. Things like scented candles, air fresheners, incense, and liquid potpourri may affect their health, causing mouth sores. When choosing a home fragrance, opt for milder scents and ask if the product is pet-safe before purchasing.
4. Macadamia Nuts
Dogs are the only known species sensitive to macadamia nuts. Vets aren't sure what causes the toxicity, but dogs exhibit symptoms like weakness, vomiting, fever, muscle tremors and depression after ingesting even the smallest quantity of these nuts. Note that many cookies and sweet treats contain macadamia nuts, which is another reason not to share any of your own treats with your pup.
When you're gardening, try not to include your dog in the fun, as they might snatch a piece or two of your gardening supplies, thinking it's a delicious treat, which can be really dangerous. Some fertilizers and cocoa mulch are all potential hazards to dogs. Vets advise that it's best to opt-out of using chemical fertilizers altogether, as dogs are often allergic to them and can develop skin rashes when they come in contact with chemically treated grass or other plants.
Those shiny batteries look so chewable to your dog, which is exactly the main issue since batteries contain corrosive acids that can cause mouth ulcers and throat and stomach issues in dogs.
7. Grapes and Raisins
You get the picture: no cookies allowed for your dog, period. Grapes, too, are incredibly toxic and potentially fatal for dogs, as they can cause renal failure in canines. The same goes for raisins, which are just dried grapes.
8. Electronic Cigarettes
Electronic cigarettes aren't even good for people, but they're ten times as dangerous to your dog than they are to you. There have been several recorded cases of dogs ingesting e-cigarette liquids (no wonder, they all smell so delicious), some of which were fatal.
Chocolate, too, contains caffeine, especially dark chocolate that has a high concentration of cocoa, but it also has theobromine in it, which is also very toxic to dogs. That's why even the tiniest amount of chocolate can put your dog's life at risk.
Keep antifreeze as far away from your dog as you can, as they will want to try it. This is because some varieties of the product smell and taste sweet to dogs, and they might be tempted to try it. Needless to say, ingesting this chemical can be very bad for your pet's health, as it may cause kidney failure.
Rat poison is made to smell delicious to rats, that's why they eat it. Unfortunately, dogs don't shy away from the tasty smelling poison either, which is why you should never dispense rodent poison in areas accessible to dogs.
12. Certain Adhesives
Polyurethane adhesives, too, are extremely dangerous if ingested by your dog, as these will expand in the animal's stomach or esophagus and will cause a blockage. That's why you should never leave your pet alone with any chemicals. Better safe than sorry.
Alcohol has the same adverse effect on your dog's health it has on yours, but multiplied, as dogs are more sensitive to it than humans. Dogs that ingest alcohol will develop liver and kidney diseases, as well as acidosis or even cardiac arrest.
Like rodenticides, insecticides, too, will make your dog sick. Mothballs, sprays and similar products will all affect your dog's health, so we highly recommend you avoid using those in a home with pets.
15. Detergents and Cleaning Products
Cleaning products, such as bleach, window cleaners, floor cleaning solutions, tide pods, and detergents should be kept behind locked doors in a home with pets. These products can look and smell very pleasant to your pet and they will be tempted to try them, but even a tiny amount is very poisonous to their system.
16. Onions and Garlic
Allium vegetables, such as garlic and onions, are the last dangerous food item we will discuss in this article. Onions especially are life-threatening to dogs, so don't share any foods that contain those with your canine. Note that there are other foods dogs cannot tolerate as well. To get a full list of foods dangerous to dogs to follow this link: Can My Dog Eat That?
17. Portable Heaters
Like many other items on this list, portable heaters are a health hazard for all your pets, not just dogs, as your pets may not be as careful around the hot heater as you are, which can result in injuries and burns.
18. Sugar-Free Chewing Gum or Candy
Many sugar-free gums and candies contain an artificial sweetener called xylitol, which is beneficial for human health, as it was suggested to reduce cavities in humans. However, the same sweetener is very toxic for your dog, as canines develop liver failure and fatal hypoglycemia after ingesting xylitol. The best scenario is that your dog will have to be hospitalized for several days after ingesting xylitol, but it can, unfortunately, also be fatal.
Keep all your meds in the medicine cabinet hidden away from your pets and don't leave any medication, both human and intended for animals lying around on the table, couch or counter. Needless to say, overdosing on any medication can have tragic results.
20. Certain Plants
Cats and dogs munch on everything, your plants included. That's why you should always curate both your indoor plants or outdoor plants carefully, as some of them may be incredibly toxic for your pets. The ones that are the most dangerous and potentially life-threatening to dogs include:
- Sago palm
- Jade plant
- Dumb cane
- Devil’s ivy, and others.
21. Rawhide Chews
This may surprise you, but the healthy treat you're giving your dog can turn into a health hazard very rapidly. Rawhide chews are the perfect breeding ground for many harmful microorganisms, such as Salmonella, which can be spread to your dog and all over your home if you're not careful. Replace these regularly and store them in a dry cool place to avoid contamination.