Pretzels are a delicious snack and always have a tempting aroma and look to them, especially when made fresh from the oven. Here is how to make mouth watering salty or sweat bagels right in your home in seven easy-to-follow steps!
Making 8-10 pretzels:
1. Preheat oven to 220 degrees C (428 F) and place baking paper on a baking sheet.
2. Put the yeast in a large bowl of hot water, stir for a minute then add salt and sugar. Mix well until blended. Gradually add the flour - one cup at a time.
3. Mix with a wooden spoon until a thick dough (adding flour until the dough is no longer sticky). Put a finger into the dough, if it jumps back up it means it is ready for kneading.
4. Place the dough on a floured surface and knead it for 5 minutes, making it in to a big ball.
5. With a sharp knife, slice the ball to about 10 small balls (depending on the size and thickness of bagel you want to make). Stretch each ball until it is about 50 cm (about 20 inch) long (again, depending on the size of the bagel you want). Pull the two ends into a circle and then curl them together like crossed arms.
6. In a small bowl, beat eggs and spread over pretzels.
You can add some salt, nigella or sesame - your choice.
7. Place in the oven and bake for 10 minutes. If necessary, add five minutes of upper heating for crispy and golden bagels.
Remove from the oven carefully. Best served warm or at room temperature.
Optional: If you want sweet pretzels, mix 1 tablespoon of cinnamon and 1/3 cup of sugar instead of using salt.