Bacon and Cheese Quiche (Serves 6)
For the shortcrust pastry
• 220g plain flour
• 1/2 tablespoon of salt
• 110g chilled pastry butter, cubed
• 1 large egg yolk
• 2-3 tablespoons of water
For the filling
• 1/2 a tablespoon of Dijon mustard
• 200g of chopped streaky bacon
• 1 medium onion, chopped
• 1 tablespoon of Italian herbs
• 354 ml single cream
• 3 medium eggs
• 170g gruyere cheese
• Freshly ground black pepper
1. Place the flour into a bowl and stir in the salt, rub in the butter quickly until it resembles breadcrumbs, then using a metal knife stir in the egg yolk and water to form a dough. Wrap in plastic wrap and chill for 30-45 minutes.
2. Pre-heat the oven to 200°C. Roll out the pastry and line a lightly greased 9-inch loose bottomed quiche tin. Trim the edges, leaving a slight overlap, then line the tin with parchment paper and fill with baking beans. Chill for 10 minutes and then bake for 12-15 minutes.
3. While you are waiting, fry the bacon in a little oil until crisp. Add the onions to the pan and fry gently until soft, but not brown, about 8-10 minutes. Add the herbs and stir through, drain off the fat and set aside using some kitchen paper to soak up any excess fat.
5. Beat the cream with the eggs and season with plenty of pepper. Sprinkle the onions and bacon onto the pastry case, then the cheese, and pour over the cream and egg mixture. Bake in the center of the oven for 40 minutes or until cooked through and brown.
Get free access To all the posts in our new app!