At this time of year, I enjoy nothing more than a warm, hearty bowl of soup. This time of year is also a great time to experiment in the kitchen, making use of some fresh, seasonal vegetables, and staying warm by the hot stove. So, next time you decide to serve up a soup try this delicious and filling potato soup. Take a look:
- 7 to 8 small potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 4 shallots, finely chopped
- 1 small yellow onion, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp. fresh parsley, finely chopped
- 1 tsp. dried basil
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1/4 cup cream
- 1/2 tsp. pepper
- 1 tsp. salt
- Bacon, cooked and chopped
- Scallion, chopped
- Cheddar and/or jack cheese, shredded
1. Chop the potatoes, shallots, onion, garlic, and parsley, placing them all in a pot.
4. Chop the scallions and shred the cheese.
2. Then add the chicken broth, milk, cream, and seasoning. Let them simmer.
3. Meanwhile, fry the bacon whole, then chop it.
5. Once the potatoes are tender, take the soup off the heat and blend until smooth.
6. Pour the soup into a bowl and top with bacon, cheese and scallions.