Comfort food at its best, casseroles are a winter favorite. But while most casseroles tend to include rice or potatoes, here's a low carb alternative you'll undoubtedly enjoy. This casserole recipe features cauliflower as its star ingredient and will make for a tasty and filling vegetarian side dish. Combined with melted cheese, another main ingredient, this casserole recipe will surely not disappoint!
Here's how easy it is to make it:
- 1 large cauliflower head, cut into florets
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 2 tablespoons grated parmesan
- 1 tablespoon minced parsley, optional
1. Fill a large pot with water, place over heat, and bring to a boil. Boil the cauliflower florets for 5 minutes, until they have slightly softened. In the meantime, preheat your oven to 350°F.
2. In a medium bowl, add the milk and the egg, and whisk. Add the flour, salt, black pepper and 1 cup of mozzarella to the mixture and continue whisking. Finally, stir in all the cauliflower.
3. Pour the whole mixture into a 7x11" casserole dish and top it off with the remaining mozzarella. Place the dish on a rack placed in the upper half of the oven. Cook for 25 minutes, until the top is golden brown and bubbling.
4. Remove from the oven and sprinkle with parmesan and parsley before serving.