How long does human hair live for? What's the strongest muscle in the body? These questions and many other bizarre quandaries will be answered in this extra fascinating list of 40 amazing facts about the body you call your home!
1. The brain is more active at night than during the day. Scientists don't yet know why this is.
2. The higher your IQ, the more you supposedly dream.
3. Facial hair grows faster than any other hair on the body.
4. The nail on the middle finger grows faster than all other fingernails.
5. Fingernails grow nearly four times faster than toenails.
6. The lifespan of a human hair is three to seven years on average.
7. The acid in your stomach is strong enough to dissolve zinc. It doesn't destroy the stomach because the stomach wall constantly renews itself.
8. Women's hearts beat faster than men's.
9. Women blink twice as many times as men do.
10. Women are born better smellers than men and remain better smellers over life.
11. Men burn fat faster than women by a rate of about 50 calories a day.
12. Men get hiccups more often than women.
13. A man has approximately 6.8 liters of blood in the body while women have approximately 5 liters.
14. The largest cell in the body is the female egg and the smallest is the male sperm.
15. During your lifetime, you will produce enough saliva to fill two swimming pools.
16. Babies are born with blue eyes more than any other color. The melanin in their eyes needs time to be fully deposited or to be darkened by ultraviolet light to reveal the baby's true eye color.
17. Men become aroused every hour to hour and a half during sleep. This is because the combination of blood circulation and testosterone production can cause arousal during sleep and are a necessary part of REM sleep.
18. After eating too much, your hearing is less sharp.
19. If your saliva cannot dissolve or mix with food, you will not be able to taste that food (try tasting something after drying off your tongue)
20. Noise causes the pupils to dilate. Even very small noises can do this.
21. Everyone has a unique smell, unique fingerprint and unique tongue print.
22. By age 60, most people will have lost half their taste buds.
23. Your eyes remain the same size after birth but your nose and ears never stop growing.
24. Getting even moderately severe sunburn causes extensive damage to the body's blood vessels.
25. We are about 1cm taller in the mornings than in the evenings.
26. The strongest muscle in the body is the human tongue.
27. The hardest bone in the human body is the jawbone.
28. The hands and feet contain almost half of all the bones in the human body.
29. About 32 million bacteria are present on every inch of human skin. Most are harmless and some of them are even helpful.
30. Humans shed and regrow outer skin every 27 days.
31. 300 million cells die in the human body every minute. Every day an adult produces 300 billion new cells.
32. The colder the room you sleep in is, the higher the chance of you having a nightmare.
33. Humans are the only species that produce emotional tears.
34. All babies are color blind at birth - they see only black and white.
35. The only part of your body that has no blood supply is the cornea in the eye. It gets its oxygen directly from air.
36. The average human being can survive 20 days without eating but can survive only two days without drinking.
37. It's impossible to kill yourself by choking yourself with your hands.
38. Everybody has a stronger eye and a weaker eye.
39. Your skeleton renews itself every 10 years, meaning it's brand-new again once every decade.
40. Human feet have 500,000 sweat glands and can produce more than a pint of sweat each day.