Flaxseed is the seed derived from the plant Linum usitatissimum, and has been praised for its extraordinary health benefits. Flaxseeds are loaded with Omega-3 essential fatty acids, are extremely high in fiber, and contain Lignans, which help ease menopausal symptoms. The powerful little seeds also help prevent against heart disease, stroke, diabetes, and cancer.
There are two different types of flaxseeds, which are the brown and yellow versions. Flaxseeds can be added to yogurts, cereals, and even sprinkled on salads. Flaxseed oil is a substitute for the traditional seed variant, which can be used as a cooking alternative to regular oil. It can help treat osteoarthritis, rheumatoid arthritis, and promote low blood pressure.
You'll certainly want to add flaxseeds to your dietary intake, after reading about the top 10 incredible health benefits below!
1) Promotes Weight Loss - The omega-3 essential fatty acids help keep your metabolism in check, and give you energy throughout the day. The magical seeds are high in B vitamins, potassium, magnesium and zinc, all essential components for weight loss. Flaxseeds are also gluten-free, and can be mixed together with low fat or Greek yogurts, for a perfect and healthy snack during the day.
2) Lowers Bad Cholesterol Levels - Flaxseeds can help keep the LDL cholesterol (the bad guys) down, while promoting HDL cholesterol levels (the good guys) in the system. The LDL cholesterol helps keep your blood pressure regulated, and prevents heart disease. You can eat 2-4 teaspoons per day, or 1-2 capsules of flaxseed oil. Consult with your physician before taking the supplement version.
3) Helps Fight Cancer - The lignans contained in flaxseeds can help reduce the risks for breast cancer, due to their anti-estrogen components. The lignans assist in blocking enzymes that are involved in the production of hormone metabolism, which cause the growth and spread of tumor cells. Flaxseeds also prevent prostate, ovarian and colon cancer. The omega-3 fatty acids play a crucial role in fighting off the cancer cells.
4) Protects Against Heart Disease - The ALA omega-3 fatty acids of the flaxseeds are known for reducing the build-up of fats in the arteries, leading to atherosclerosis. They also help reduce inflammation, while preventing arterial clots, that cause strokes and heart attacks. Keep your heart healthy with a daily dosage of flaxseeds to your diet!
5) Promotes Healthy Skin - The high anti-inflammatory properties of flaxseeds, help to keep your skin fully hydrated and moisturized. The essential omega-3 fatty acids also reduce some chronic skin conditions, such as rosacea, acne, eczema, skin allergies, sunburn, and even protect against skin cancer. You can try rubbing a little flaxseed oil gently on your skin on a daily basis to ensure smooth clean skin.
6) Helps Treat Menopausal Symptoms - Flaxseeds are high in lignans, which contain estrogen-like qualities that can reduce menopausal symptoms in women. The lignans act like conventional hormone replacement therapy, which combat hot flashes, mood swings, and prevent against ovarian cancer. The suggested dosage of flaxseeds is a single tablespoon, two or three times per day. Please consult with your doctor beforehand.
May also interest you:
7) Keeps Blood Sugar Stabilized - Flaxseeds are widely used to promote healthy blood sugar levels in people who suffer from Type II diabetes. The alpha-linolenic acid and fiber of the tiny seeds, help prevent high blood sugar levels in the body. They also improve insulin sensitivity in glucose intolerant people.
8) Promotes Healthy Hair - The vitamin E contained in flaxseeds, helps provide adequate nourishment to your hair follicles and roots. The omega-3 fatty acids replenish brittle hair, prevent scales, and also alopecia (hair loss). The essential fatty acids of the seeds aid in the promotion of strong healthy hair.
9) Improves Digestion - The high soluble fiber content contained in flaxseeds, helps to promote healthy digestion, and prevents against colon cancer. Consumption of ground flaxseeds allows for the smooth passage of food through the intestines as well. Make sure you drink plenty of water to aid in the digestion process, and stay fully hydrated all day.
10) Detoxifies the Body - Flaxseeds are rich in fiber, which flushes out harmful toxins from the body, cleanses the colon, and helps promote a healthy immune system. The detoxifying process is essential for combating chronic fatigue and inflammation symptoms. Add a tablespoon of flaxseeds to your morning bowl of oatmeal, and reap the detoxifying benefits!