We all love fruits & vegetables, you probably know that a Tomato is actually a fruit, and a Watermelon is a vegetable, but how much do you really know about them? Come test your knowledge! At the end of the quiz you will find out how many right answers you got and if you perhaps need to refresh your knowledge in this area.
Choose an option to see the answer!
1. A. Which of these fruits is a member of the Rose family?
The Apple is a member of the Rose family, along with Pears, Apricots, Plums, Cherries, Peaches, Raspberries, Loquats, and Strawberries.
2. Which of these fruits grows on a tree?
Only the Pomegranate grows on a tree! The Passionfruit grows on a vine, the Feijoa on a bush and the Banana "tree" is actually a type of grass.
3. Which one of these vegetables was considered poisonous for nearly 200 years?
Tomatoes were erroneously thought to be poisonous (although the leaves are) by Europeans who were suspicious of their bright, shiny fruit.
4. Which of the following has the highest sugar content?
Pound for pound, the Cherry contains the highest concentration of sugars.
5. Which one of these is actually a nut?
C. Brazil Nut.
The Hazelnut is the only "real" nut here, the Brazil Nut and the Walnut are actually seeds, while the Peanut is a legume (a type of bean).
6. Which of these doesn't contains Cyanide?
The Kiwi is the only fruit on the list that doesn't contain cyanide! Apple, Peach & Plum seeds all contain a small amount of cyanide and SHOULD NOT be consumed!
7. Which of these doesn't have an edible root?
C. Jerusalem Artichoke.
Parsley, Celery & Jerusalem Artichoke all have edible roots with a distinct falvor, while the Lemongrass' roots are not edible.
8. Which of these fruits should be separated to keep it fresh for longer?
D. Cherry Tomatoes.
Picked Bananas emit Ethylene gas which hastens ripening and rotting. Keep them away from other fruits & veggies.
9. Which of these fruits are grown with the help of helicopters?
Believe it or not, farmers use the help of helicopters to air-dry their trees, this prevents the cherries from splitting.
10. Which fruit should not be consumed with medicine?
Grapefruits are a good source of vitamin C and the antioxidant lycopene, but also contains chemicals that interfere with the enzymes that normally break down drugs in your digestive system which leads to higher-than-acceptable levels, increasing your risk of developing side effects.
11. In the east, monkeys are used to harvest these:
In Thailand, farmers train monkeys to climb up the Coconut trees, pick the fruit and drop it down to them.
12. Which of these is related to the Pistachio & Cashew?
D. Brazil Nut.
The Mango is a member of the genus "Prunus", which includes Almonds, Apricots, Cherries, Nectarines, Peaches, and Plums.